OLX, the leading online classifieds company has partnered with secure logistics company G4S to ease delivery of goods from sellers to buyers in a move aimed at boosting safety on the platform. The featured image shows OLX country manager Peter Ndiang’ui (on the left) with G4S Secure logistics director, Geoffrey Mwove after signing the agreement. This new announcement comes after OLX launched the new lighter OLX App.
This move is primarily set upon the safety of using the OLX e-commerce platform. As you may remember OLX always advocates for sellers to meet buyers in public places and refrain from hosting total strangers in their houses. “This partnership will enable us, as OLX to enhance the safety of our users and also to lessen the burden of transport on them as more trades, micro-businesses and consumers troop to our platform everyday to sell both and new and used items”‘, said OLX counrty manager Peter Ndiang’ui.
How the delivery will work
- Seller publishes an Ad on OLX Kenya website or OLX Kenya App
- If a buyer is interested, he/she will contact seller
- Seller and buyer will negotiate on who will pay for the discounted delivery charges
- Seller on OLX platform delivers item to the nearest G4S collection centre.
- Seller here will be asked by G4S staff to set a security question that is to be answered by the buyer during collection
- G4S dispatches the item to the nearest G4S centre near the buyer
- G4S releases item to buyer after proof of payment to the seller as well as having correctly answered the security question
“This partnership goes a long way to deliver our commitment to provide convenient and secure service to our customers. The seller will be asked to set a question that is to be answered by the buyer upon collection of the package with necessary identification documents including original ID/passport” said G4S secure logistics director, Geoffrey Mwove.
The new delivery system will only be available in Nairobi and is set to be rolled out in other parts of the country in three months time.
OLX has already negotiated a subsidized amount (lower than normal G4S charges) for sellers on the OLX platform. Speaking at the event OLX Country manager concluded that “This partnership will see our users do delivery at subsidized rates and also bring goods closer to their doorstep for convenience”.